How to Become a Lash Extension Trainer
There comes a point in most lash extension artist's career when they want to use the skills they have acquired and perfected to become a lash extension trainer. Here are the steps we recommend to make this dream a reality.
1. Go to school to become a licensed esthetician or cosmetologist in your state (if applicable by law).
2. Attend a quality hands-on lash extension training. Need a training recommendation near you? Email us at email@example.com.
3. Apprentice under a master lash artist or work at a lash extension salon to gain experience and learn the tips and tricks from other lash artists. It is recommended that you do this for at least 2 years.
This is a step that many lash artists like to skip because they think they can do it on their own, BUT, you are really lengthening your learning curve by doing it on your own. Working with other lash artists that you can learn with is a great way to grow in your skills faster!
4. Attend trade-shows, compete in lash extension application competitions, watch YouTube videos, and take continuing lash extension education courses to perfect your skill and work towards becoming a master lash artist.
5. After at least 3 years of working as a lash artist full-time (at least 30 hours a week) and growing in your lash extension education, you may consider calling yourself a master lash extension artist. This quote says 5 1/2 years to become a "master" which is probably true. That would be ideal, but my recommendation is at least 3 years and no sooner! Put in the time to perfect your skill.
6. Consider why you want to be a trainer and if you are even skilled at teaching others. Take this quiz to see how good of a teacher you would be!
7. Check with your state government (if in the USA) to see if you are required to register your lash course with them before you start teaching. Alternatively, you could apply to teach at an already licensed local esthetics school. NALA (National Association of Lash Artists) certifications DO NOT substitute your government's regulations so please check with your state to find out what (if anything) is required of you before you open a lash school.
8. Find a teaching location or teach online. You can have your own online lash training done for you here.
9. Register your school with the state (if applicable). Google search: YOUR STATE + Private Occupational Schools.
10. Download and print your lash extension training manuals and add your business logo.
11. Create a training agenda for each training day.
Day 1 Example:
9:00 am Light Breakfast and Mingle
10:00 am Review Agenda
10:30 am Go through the training manual
12:30 pm Lunch
1:30 pm Hands-on Practice
Etc....you get the idea!
12. Order your lash training kits.
13. Create marketing materials and advertise your training.
14. Buy all the necessary items for your training day.
15. Give your students a 2-week training plan to follow after they leave the training to ensure their success.
16. Issue your student a certificate of completion (included in the lash training manuals).
BrandedLASH supplies lash trainers and lash business owners with private-labeled products.